Examinations (Exams) are the primary method used in ASU ONLINE BCH341 to evaluate a students understanding of the topics covered. Prof. Yarger & Mujica strives to produce exams that fairly evaluate students’ practical and conceptual understanding of physical chemistry topics as they apply to the biological sciences and biochemistry based industries (e.g., pharmaceutics, medical, bioenergy, ecological, biotechnologies, etc.). In the real world, problems are not closed book, memorization based, and restricted to ‘1 hour’ where a bunch of different problems have to be solved. Real world problems are open to any resource available and care that the person solving the problem can articulate their process. Hence, showing the detailed solution to a problem will hopefully lead to predictions or insights that help advance a topic or provide solutions and ‘next steps’ in optimization or ideas. It is the goal of Prof. Yarger & Prof. Mujica to provide ‘take home’ examinations that represent ‘real-world’ based problems in biopchem.
Exams by Prof. Mujica & Yarger consist of in-depth problems that are meant to represent modern topics and problems that arise in biophysical chemistry areas of research and application in industry. Example exams by Prof. Yarger from past semesters of BCH341-ONLINE at ASU can be found on the biopchem.education website (e.g., fall 2018, spring 2018). Keep in mind, the type of exam given in the standard BCH341 class is different from the type of ‘take home’ exam given in the online version of BCH341. The suggested homework problems given to students are meant to represent questions similar to what a student would have on a ‘take home’ exam.
Specifically, for the Spring 2019 Online version of BCH341, exams will be posted on Canvas and students will have ~48 hours to complete the exam and turn in a single PDF document with all the detailed steps to solving the problem(s) explicitly shown. The single PDF document that contains a student’s solutions will be uploaded to Canvas by the announced due date for grading. In Canvas, we are using a 3rd party application, Peerceptiv, to perform an anonymous peer review process (peer grading) of the exams. This peer review and/or peer grading has been show to be very helpful in the learning process. The exams will also be graded by the instructor and/or TAs.
A general video discuss about online BCH 341 exams is provided here: YouTube and/or Vimeo.
- Exam 1 (DUE Jan 24, 2019, 11:59 PM UTC-7) When submitting the single PDF exam file in Canvas, include your last initial, underscore, your first initial, underscore BCH341_Exam1_Spring2019.pdf as the filename (e.g., ‘D_J_BCH341_Exam1_Spring2019.pdf’).
- Extended PDF Exam: bch341_exam1_spring2019.pdf
- Condensed PDF Exam: bch341_exam1_condensed_spring2019.pdf
- Question 4, Assigned VDW Gas Data Sheet: exam1_student_assigned_vwd_gas_cmpds.pdf
- Rubric / Solutions: Posted at 10:00AM, Jan. 25, 2019 (UTC-7)
- BioPchem Google Sheets (Publically Available): Exam 1 Question 1, Question 2, Question 3, Question 4, Question 5, Question 6, Question 7.
- Exam 2 – (DUE Feb 7, 2019, 11:59 PM UTC-7) When submitting the single PDF exam file in Canvas, include your last initial, underscore, your first initial, underscore BCH341_Exam2_Spring2019.pdf as the filename (e.g., ‘Y_J_BCH341_Exam2_Spring2019.pdf’).
- Extended PDF Exam: BCH341_Exam2_Expanded_Spring2019.pdf
- Condensed PDF Exam: BCH341_Exam2_Condensed2_Spring2019.pdf
- Rubric / Solutions: Posted at 11:00AM, Feb. 8, 2019 (UTC-7)
- Exam 2 Solutions/Rubric Discussion Video: YouTube and/or Vimeo Link.
- Exam 3 – (DUE Feb 21, 2019, 11:59 PM UTC-7) When submitting the single PDF exam file in Canvas, include your last initial, underscore, your first initial, underscore BCH341_Exam2_Spring2019.pdf as the filename (e.g., ‘Y_J_BCH341_Exam2_Spring2019.pdf’).
- Extended PDF Exam: BCH341_Exam3_Expanded_Spring2019.pdf
- Condensed PDF Exam: BCH341_Exam3_Spring2019.pdf
- Rubric / Solutions: Posted at 11:00AM, Feb. 22, 2019 (UTC-7)
- Problem 7 – Public Google Sheet Link.
- Problem 8 – Public Google Sheet Link.
- Final Exam – (DUE Feb 25, 2019, 11:59 PM UTC-7) – OPTIONAL: Substitutes for the 3 midterm exams. There is no peer review associated with this exam.
- BCH341_FinalExam_Spring2018-v1.pdf (also posted on Canvas)
- Submitted Final Exams will be graded and returned on Canvas on Tuesday, Febuary 26th (the last day of BCH 341).